Health and Wellbeing
Learning in health and wellbeing at Whitburn Academy ensures that our young people develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes which they need for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future. Whitburn Academy, working with partners, takes a holistic approach to promoting health and wellbeing, one that takes account of the stage of growth, development and maturity of each individual, and the social and community context.
Our young people should be able to:
• meet challenges, manage change and build relationships
• experience personal achievement, growth in resilience and confidence
• understand and develop physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing and social skills
• understand how what we eat, how active we are and how decisions we make about our behaviour and relationships affect our physical and mental wellbeing
• participate in a wide range of activities which promote a healthy lifestyle
• understand that adults in our school community have a responsibility to look after us, listen to our concerns and involve others where necessary
• learn about where to find help and resources to inform choices
• assess and manage risk and understand the impact of risk-taking behaviour
• reflect on our strengths and skills to help us make informed choices when planning our next steps
• acknowledge diversity and understand that it is everyone’s responsibility to challenge discrimination.