Science is an important part of our heritage and we use its applications every day in our lives at work, at leisure and in the home. Science and the application of Science are central to our economic future and to our health and wellbeing as individuals and as a society. The knowledge and skills gained through the Sciences can open doors to careers in many different sectors.
The Science Department offers the following subject levels
S1- S2 Science
In S1 and S2 Science we aim to stimulate, nurture and sustain the curiosity, wonder and questioning of all pupils. We want to give pupils the knowledge and skills they need to succeed and flourish in a country and world of scientific opportunity.
In S1 and S2 all pupils follow a general Science course that contains level 2, level 3 and level 4 experiences and outcomes from Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
S1 Science course contains the following topics:
- Safe Science
- What is Chemistry
- Human Body
- Sound and Vision
- Everyday Science
In S1 Science there are a total of 12 homeworks over the year, they are issued as follows:
- Safe Science: Number of Homeworks =1
- Human Body : Number of Homeworks =3
- What is Chemistry: Number of Homeworks =3
- Light and Sound: Number of Homeworks =3
- Everyday Science: Number of Homeworks =2
S2 Science course contains the following topics:
- Chemical Reactions
- Forces and Motion
- Acids and Alkalis
- Plants at Work
In S2 Science there are a total of 14 homeworks issued over the year, they are issued as follows.
- Chemical Reactions: Number of Homeworks =3
- Electricity: Number of Homeworks =3
- Plants at Work: Number of Homeworks =3
- Forces and Motion: Number of Homeworks =2
- Evolution: Number of Homeworks =1
- Acids and Alkalis: Number of Homeworks =2
Each topic is assessed using a wide range of strategies including:
- End of unit tests
- Research projects
- Practical skills are also developed and assessed over the 2 years along with scientific literacy and numeracy skills.
S1 and S2 pupils have the opportunity to participate in the following clubs and trips:
- S1 Science Club at lunchtimes
- S2 GO4SET
- S2 science centre trip
Back to Science